Dear MDC Community,
Miami Dade College (MDC) is following its emergency contingency plans and is monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation locally and across the globe. For more than a month, the College has actively been taking steps to address the safety and well-being of our students.
As a reminder all classes, regardless of delivery method, including online classes, are suspended through March 29. MDC has canceled all events college-wide until further notice.
Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- The MDC college-wide Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is activated and coordinating all College functions. The EOC is in communication with the County EOC, FLDOE and other agencies.
- Miami Dade College is preparing to transition to a remote learning environment. Effective Friday, March 13, through Sunday, March 29, all classes are canceled. During this time period, all employees will continue to report to campus so we can be ready for the transition.
- As part of our ongoing process to ensure student and employee safety, as well as that of the community, all College events and gatherings are canceled.
- All MOAD/Freedom Tower events have been canceled and the gallery spaces are closed until further notice.
- Commencement – MDC will continue monitoring the situation and will share a final decision by April 16.
- Athletics – All MDC athletic events are canceled until further notice.
- All College-related domestic and international travel is canceled until further notice.
- Human Resources has shared a detailed plan regarding the use of disaster leave.
- MDCPS, the Archdiocese of Miami Schools, Broward Public Schools and Charter Schools have announced they will close for the next two weeks. The College is currently evaluating alternate plans for employees with children and childcare issues. However, at this time, we ask that if employees are unable to find alternate arrangements, they may use any available accrued leave they have.
- As a result of K-12 cancelations, managers may work with employees to modify their schedules so long as they work their total number of assigned hours.
- Although classes are canceled, students can continue to access all essential on campus student services such as registration, admissions, financial aid and advisement.
Campuses Currently Closed
Medical and West Campuses remain closed until March 16. All employees in these locations are asked to report back to work on Monday, March 16.
We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding as we adjust and adapt as a College community. In the meantime, we ask everyone to continue following the precautions communicated by MDC, as well as important guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Florida Department of Health, and the World Health Organization.
For questions related to COVID-19 in Florida, you may call the Florida Department of Health’s dedicated COVID-19 Call Center at 1-866-779-6121 or email COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org. The MDC Call Center is also available to students at 305-237-8888 during regular business hours (Monday – Thursday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m).
For the latest information and guidance issued by MDC, as well as access to useful resources and all past messages, please visit www.mdc.edu/coronavirus. Please also call the MDC Hotline at 305-237-7500 or the MDC Employee Hotline at 305-237-7505.