Miami, July 31, 2017 – Beginning this fall, Miami Dade College (MDC) will offer several new College Credit Certificates to prepare students for emerging and in-demand careers, including data analytics and virtual/augmented reality, among others. In addition, the college approved a new Associate in Science in Computer Crime Investigations. Registration is underway for the Fall Semester, which starts Aug. 28.
The new certificates are:
- Engineering Technology Support Specialist is an 18-credit hour certificate that leads to an industry certification in Manufacturing Standards Skills Council and allows students to test or modify developmental/operational electrical machinery, electrical control equipment and circuitry in industrial/commercial plants or laboratories.
- Mechatronics will prepare students to research, design, develop and test automation, intelligent systems, smart devices, and industrial systems control. This is a 30-credit hour certificate. As a career option, it may overlap with the Engineering Technology Support Specialist certificate.
- Rapid Prototyping Specialist is a 12-credit hour certificate that prepares students for entry-level jobs in high tech production, manufacturing, distribution, and engineering research and development facilities. The certificate is designed for students preparing for a career in engineering technology or high tech manufacturing fields. The Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity project annual job openings in this area will be approximately 620 nationwide and 20 statewide.
- Instructional Design and Technology (Certificate of Professional Preparation) consist of 15 credit hours designed for students who are completing, or have completed, a bachelor’s degree. Instructional designers and technologists plan and conduct training for teachers related to teaching methods and the use of technology.
- Audio Technology is a 15-credit hour certificate designed for students who intend to seek employment within the music business industry as an alternative to the strictly traditional Music degree program. The Audio Technology college credit certificate combines a traditional music curriculum with industry-related courses and experiences. The curriculum stresses hands-on equipment use in sound engineering and recording, midi music creation, sound reinforcement methods and technologies, and computer applications.
- Film Production Fundamentals is a 24-credit hour certificate designed to prepare students for entry-level employment in the motion picture industry. Students will understand the fundamentals in the following skills: lighting, grip, camera, audio recording, and editing.
- Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality (VR/AR) are emerging industries with the potential of becoming the next big computing platform, according to experts in the field. Currently, both enterprises and consumers are the drivers of VR/AR, and while videogames are taking center stage in this new platform, near-term applications for use in other industries, including entertainment, healthcare, automotive, retail, education, advertising, tourism, space, skilled trades, military and law enforcement.
- Graphic Design Support is a 15-credit hour certificate designed to prepare students for initial employment as a graphic design assistant, graphic production artist, or to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in these occupations
- Television Studio Production is a 12-credit hour certificate geared for students who intend to seek employment in radio, television and production companies, as well as allied fields, such as in-house educational and industrial studios. The curriculum stresses hands-on equipment use in TV laboratories. Students will have access to high-end cameras, editing suites and video graphics animation facilities and will complete portfolio-quality productions.
- Fire Fighter / Emergency Medical Technician is a 750 clock hours certificate designed to provide students with the certificates and training to enter the Fire Science industry. According to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, employment of firefighters in Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties is projected to grow 9.5% by 2024.
- Digital Forensics is a branch of forensic science that often involves the investigation of cyber-attacks or crimes. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of forensic science technicians is projected to grow 27% by 2024. The purpose of this new 24-credit hour certificate is to provide students with the necessary education, certification, and training required to work in the cybersecurity field.
To register and for more information, please visit http://www.mdc.edu/registration.