Including performances by Skip Marley, Aymee Nuviola and Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Mr. Pauer, Richard Blanco, Inez Barlatier, Yoli Mayor, Karla Croqueta, Rudi Goblen, Itawe of Locos Por Juana, and more!
Miami, Oct. 1, 2020 – Live Arts Miami, a component of Miami Dade College’s (MDC) groundbreaking cultural programming and a recognized leader in live arts programming and creative change-making through the arts, kicks off its 2020-21 season with Make Your Mark Miami! Artists Rally for the Vote, a non-partisan virtual voting rally at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 8. Tune in to Live Arts Miami Facebook Live to fire up the vote with a mix of educational sessions by community leaders and voting experts, and exclusive performances and special appearances from a glittering cast of the city’s top performing artists. Free and open to the public with RSVP.
Make Your Mark Miami! is produced in partnership with MDC’s Institute for Civic Engagement, Engage Miami, Vote Miami, and the League of Women Voters of Miami-Dade County as part of National Voter Education Week.
Hosted by Miami’s famed performer and Broadway actor sensation, Syndee Winters, the event will include performances by numerous globally-renowned, award-winning performers and artists of the day, including:
- Skip Marley, the international chart-topping and Miami-raised Jamaican singer-songwriter, grandson of the legendary Bob Marley.
- Aymee Nuviola, the Cuban-born, Grammy- and Latin Grammy-winning singer, pianist, composer, and actress.
- Gonzalo Rubalcaba, the world-renowned and award-winning Cuban jazz pianist and composer.
- Richard Blanco, the fifth presidential inaugural poet in U.S. history, celebrated author and public speaker.
- Pauer, Latin Grammy-nominated producer and iconic Miami-based DJ.
- Inez Barlatier, local singer-songwriter sensation and musical rising star of Haitian descent.
- Yoli Mayor, the sensational Miami singer and America’s Got Talent finalist.
- Karla Croqueta, groundbreaking drag performer, winner of Miami’s Ultimate Drag Queen awards.
- Shanna Woods, Miami-based dancer and choreographer, member of the Olujimi Dance Theatre company.
- Samuel Tommie, Seminole artist, videographer and environmental activist.
- Rudi Goblen, award-winning writer, dancer, actor, music producer, and acclaimed B-Boy phenom.
- Itawe Correa, lead vocalist of Locos por Juana, the Grammy- and Latin Grammy-nominated bilingual band
- Villain Theater, local stage and company known for its improv, standup, and sketch comedy.
- Pastor Marc Cooper, keyboardist, singer-songwriter, arranger, producer and choir director.
- BBoy LEGO, award-winning member of the Flipside Kings who’s performed with the Black Eyed Peas, Pitbull, Ricky Martin, the NFL Super Bowl, and more.
- Sandra L. Portal-Andreu, Miami-based dancer and choreographer, and one of Live Arts Miami’s LALA 2020 Artists-in-Residence.
Educational sessions include:
- Explore Three Ways You Can Vote and the importance of the youth vote with Gilbert Placeras and Maryan Firpo of Engage Miami.
- Get ready to Cast Your Ballot with Nicky Zarchen of Radical Partners who’ll guide you through what’s on November’s ballot and how to make your voting plan with org.
- Learn about Voter Suppression and how you can help to combat it with Nashira Williams of the League of Women Voters.
The event comes on the heels of the organization’s recent rebranding as Live Arts Miami, a new identity and logo to mark 30 years of impactful programming in the community while setting a new vision for decades to come, including a renewed commitment to producing live arts programs and initiatives that do more than entertain; they empower artists, audiences, and students to cultivate change in our community.
“When it comes to inspiring action and inciting change, artists are especially well equipped. Polemicists and instigators, great unifiers and public defenders, artists are an essential part of our democratic process. For this inaugural event of our 30th Anniversary season, we are gathering some of the city’s top performing artists, united on the virtual stage with respected community organizers and leaders to motivate and inspire action in these upcoming elections,” said Kathryn Garcia, Executive Director.
WHAT: Make Your Mark Miami! Artists Rally for the Vote
WHEN: Thursday, Oct. 8, at 7 p.m. EST
WHERE: Event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/875013296364926/?active_tab=about
RSVP for Make Your Mark Miami! at https://www.squadup.com/events/make-your-mark-miami
Visit www.liveartsmiami.org to explore the new website and learn more about Live Arts Miami’s 30th Anniversary season kick-off event.
More performers and special appearances to be announced soon. For more information, visit the Facebook event page and LiveArtsMiami.org for the latest updates.
Follow on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @liveartsmiami
ABOUT LIVE ARTS MIAMI
Live Arts Miami is one of the city’s oldest and boldest performing arts series: an action-driven, people-centered platform for powerful performances, impactful community programs and learning experiences that spark dialogue, raise awareness around pressing issues, and open minds and hearts in all who take part. Created in 1990 as Cultura del Lobo, Live Arts Miami is proud to be a part of Miami Dade College’s celebrated Department of Cultural Affairs. For three decades, Live Arts Miami has featured extraordinary performing artists and unforgettable performances, collaborations and public art projects from all over the world. Today, Live Arts Miami is a regional model of principled innovation and excellence in public arts programming. A place for artists, audiences, and MDC students to come together as one. For more information, please visit www.liveartsmiami.org.
The programs of MDC Live Arts Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and the Cultural Affairs Council; the Miami-Dade County Mayor and Board of County Commissioners; the State of Florida, Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs and the Florida Council on Arts and Culture; the National Endowment for the Arts; National Performance Network (NPN); the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. MDC Live Arts is a Partner of the National Performance Network (NPN). Major NPN contributors include the Doris Duke Charitable
Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the National Endowment for the Arts.
MDC Live Arts Contacts: María Montoya, Marketing Specialist, 305-237-7733, email@example.com; José A. Portela, Communications Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org